Don't you love the title Thought Leader? Perhaps not. I am not even sure how it actually came to be, nor do I really care at this point. It seems to me that it sounds a little like the old adage - "Those who can't do - teach." I have spent a great deal of time listening and reading what thought leaders have to say. I think it is important to study the industry where you reside and to know the key players, as well as understand what success looks like.

What does success in the HR or Recruiting Industry look like? Is it when your blog is read or tweeted by hundreds? Is it when you get asked to speak at a conference? It is when you write a book? Is it when you make your 500th placement? Is it when you and your business survive a downturn? Is it when a client calls you back? Is it when you make a great placement? Is it when your business grows continually? Is it when somebody buys your blog? (By the way, Jerry Albright's is for sale - it's best if your name is Jerry or maybe you just like the name Jerry - www.JerrytheRecruiter.com) Is it when you make the latest Best or Most List that is based on a specific algorithm that nobody really understands?

Is it when you're client/hiring manager is content and calls you for the next requisition? Is it when your candidate is happy? Is it when YOU are satisfied with your work and the outcomes you are able to produce? Maybe you just want to think and write about the industry and are not worried about producing anything. Is that a Thought Leader? Or is a Thought Leader's product inspiration or motivation?

I sat next to Jason Davis at TRULondon last week just briefly between sessions and an announcement was made that sounded a lot like Jason had been deemed a Thought Leader in the recruiting industry. Jason leaned over to me and said, "I don't want to be a Thought Leader or even thought of as a Thought Leader..." I have never thought of Jason as a Thought Leader. He is a worker bee, he is a Doer. He doesn't sit back and count awards or money. He doesn't rely on anyone else to do the job he needs to do. He is constantly evolving, looking for the newer, better way, chasing after the next big idea, putting that idea into action and surrounding himself with incredible people.

What exactly would the job description of a Thought Leader look like? Umm..., Think deep thoughts? Inspire thought in others? Have a Doctorate in Thinkology? Are you more inspired by someone who thinks or someone who does? What do you want to be when you grow up? Are statues built of Thought Leaders? Perhaps, but guess who built them?  Now you get the picture.

by rayannethorn

Views: 1244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

then let's face it. The 13 year old is a thought leader. Bright kid , he might make a great recruiter.

Sean Ryan said:
I'd say the adage that 'a leader cannot become a leader without the actions of the doers' is true for every type of leader. But I think a leader of any stripe is distinguished by more than simply "doers" who take the idea and run.

I'd go back to my question of the 13-year-old blogger that says recruiters should wear pink in head-shots to attract clients. If his idea is acted upon by doers, and they think it's working - is the 13-year-old, by definition, a "Thought Leader"? (someone who 'successfully markets ideas')

If not, what distinguishes "Thought Leaders" from 13-year-old bloggers? The 13-year-old spawned success...

Sandra McCartt said:
What if they don't sell?

Perhaps a Thought Leader is one who markets ideas that become successful practices. Ergo a thought leader can not become one without the actions of the doers.

Sean Ryan said:
Okay. I'd propose a definition of "Thought Leader" as "A person who markets ideas".

Fair?

Keith Robinson said:
So maybe a “thought leader” is a generator of great ideas BUT also gets how to market them..

Again some huge generalisations I know but the impressions of an old man.
Sandra: Thank you. You've confirmed my theory about thought leaders. They might as well be a 13-year-old in their parents basement :-)

No disrespect to 13-year-olds... or thought leaders anywhere.

In all seriousness, I believe a "Real Thought Leader" is also a "Doer". I am going to take "Doer"'s opinion over a "thinker"'s opinion any day. And once I respect a person's opinion - I'm led by their thought. Ergo - they - in my mind - are a thought leader.

There needs to be substance.
Wait till you meet a few more recruiters and thought leaders. That basement with the 13 year old will look like a safe place to be. :)

Sean Ryan said:
Sandra: Thank you. You've confirmed my theory about thought leaders. They might as well be a 13-year-old in their parents basement :-)

No disrespect to 13-year-olds... or thought leaders anywhere.
While my first reply in this thread was a bit sarcastic (yes - that's me!) I do think there are those rare few who test what most accept as the norm - and it's not easy.

The truth is - most people - don't really think too much beyond the given "accepted" norms of their profession. When the entire population of any given profession does things a certain way - even when other methods may prove to be far more beneficial - it's much easier to provide the service that everyone else provides - and in the same manner.

An entire field of recruiters made a living posting jobs on Monster and racing each morning to be the first to blast over any resumes that replied over to their clients before the other recruiters posting the same jobs did.

Calling anyone who stretches to create new ideas within any given industry a "thought leader" does seem a bit odd though.

How about "innovator"? Can you agree with that Rayanne? Or is that a bit over the top as well?
Sort of like the first guy who postulated that the world was not flat it might be round. Then somebody had to sail off into the sunset to see if they fell off the edge.

why is it that everytime there is a new buzz word to describe what has been going on since the dawn of creation everybody has to jump on the bandwagon and start spouting it like it's a new concept. I am reminded of the great debate as to calling people talent.
We have so many examples of thought leaders who were at some point doers who move on to writing books - Lets just take a look at the Data Warehousing World William Harvey Inmon and Ralph Kimball - Any Seasoned Datawarehousing Architect today has used both of the techniques pioneered by these technical minds...

Thought Leaders are necessary I do think though you have thinkers and doers that can be classified in the same breadth - Lets just take Theoretcal Physicist Albert Einstein who sat in the Patent office to produce some beautiful work of mathematical thoughts to paper and Edwin Hubble who proved through physical observation (through use of a telescope) (and yes lots of Mathematical physics) what Einstein equations proved that Galaxies were Accelerating way from us ...

Or more modern thought leaders like Stephen Covey .... Lets not make light of these great minds yes doers who after a while remain thinkers ... They become thought leaders if enough people have found some thing valuable and useful with respect to self improvement...
Yeah, what he said.
Yay! Reading through this again I have decided to call myself a thought leader as apparently they are people who think beyond the norm (and I don't mean the fat guy in 'Cheers') and every time I come up with headline or a piece of creative copy on behalf of a client I have clearly out thought them! Or you could just say I was doing my job, but somehow I prefer the thought leader tag! Obey me people! You mere mortals are SO not worthy!:-)
Just one more reason that I have so much respect for JD.
@Alasdair ... All you need now is a few million followers of your thoughts and we can make it official. For now your still in fantasy world .....

Alasdair Murray said:
Yay! Reading through this again I have decided to call myself a thought leader as apparently they are people who think beyond the norm (and I don't mean the fat guy in 'Cheers') and every time I come up with headline or a piece of creative copy on behalf of a client I have clearly out thought them! Or you could just say I was doing my job, but somehow I prefer the thought leader tag! Obey me people! You mere mortals are SO not worthy!:-)
All creatives live in a fantasy world Paul :) And do I want a few million followers? Er, not really. Quality not quantity, that's me! :)
But creatives are taken seriouly when they become leaders through their "Creative thoughts " and if they contribute to our lives ie Apple, to impact the real world in some way they have left the world of Fantasy. True thought leaders are followed they don't have to ask you to follow them ....

Alasdair Murray said:
All creatives live in a fantasy world Paul :) And do I want a few million followers? Er, not really. Quality not quantity, that's me! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service