There was a post over on the Yahoo group Sourcers Unleashed that asked:
"Can anyone share some proven methods of getting the names of individuals in construction companies? They are usually not typically found in googling etc, and they are usually not found at the office locations of the company."

There have been a few responses - I thought you all might find them interesting.
"Usually the old fashioned way...cold calling, referrals, going where your candidates go...hope this helps. I always ask this question before I begin sourcing/recruiting. In your case, I would ask, 'If I worked for a construction company, where would I be?'" ~Robin

"I've used LinkedIn with some success. You get a name and build from there with referrals. Another tip - in Texas - PEs - are registered in a roster that is posted on the website. Included is the employer and phone number. I've not investigated to see if this is the case in other states, but this may be someplace to begin. You can pull that off the http://www.tbpe.state.tx.us/ website under the "Roster Search" tab." ~Ceciliana

Are you talking about Project Managers/Engineers - those types who many times might be assigned to field offices?
Robin's question is a good one - in addition, it's always smart to ask, "Who would I report to?" Also, don't forget, "What would I read?" and "Who would I hang out with?" "Do I typically have an Admin?" would also be of use as well as "Do I carry/have any kind of professional licensing?" "Do I have a need for continuous education?" should not be forgotten.
Project Managers many times need to be listed on civil documents - applications, permits, etc.
Sometimes their various projects ARE listed at their websites - once in a while with a PM listed as well - they're not always current but calling and asking if they're doing any "airport" projects or "highway" projects or whatever kind of projects that company typically does many times will elicit some of the current project locations from the receptionist. Then, ask for the "field office" number - many times they have one. It's in a trailer onsite or is sometimes the PM's cell phone. Be aware the ones they have listed might now be finished - these kind of companies aren't famous for keeping their websites up-to-date.
Think about what they do on a daily basis - immerse yourself in their workday world- and you'll have an easier time associating with them. We do a good bit of work in this space - construction. In fact, we're doing Estimators, Sales and Project Managers in this space at present. Typically the receptionist is a font of information if approached correctly - how are you approaching and what are you saying - exactly?
~ Maureen

NEW!
Join the Ning SourcersGuild network here. We have "Chat" in there - it's very cool!
Do something today you don't think you can do.

Maureen Sharib
Telephone Name Sourcer/MagicMethod Trainer
513 899 9628
TechTrak.com, Inc.
maureen at namesourcer.com
http://www.techtrak.com
My NameSourcer blog.

Views: 18

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service