The following is one of the lessons from Module VI of the seminal "Magic In the Method
" phone sourcing course.
Body Language is just as important for those of us who work on the phone as it is for those who work in-person. Don’t believe it? Continue reading.
Here are some GOOD things to do:
1) Hold yourself upright when you’re on the phone. Think of how you'd hold yourself if you were the most confident person in the world. Be the most confident person in the world!
2) Move slowly. Gesture slowly. Speak slowly. Blink - slowly. This communicates comfort and confidence to yourself, and that’s what matters here.
3) Pause often. Only respond if you choose to. Remember, you don't need to react or respond to anything that you don't want to. An experienced and defensive Gatekeeper will often try to push you off balance, utilizing that famous “the best defense is a good offense” theory. Don't fall for it. Stay cool, and pause if you need to in order to keep your composure. Breathe.
Here are some BAD things - avoid doing them!
1) Talking too fast or too much. This communicates that you're nervous and sketchy (unless you're telling a really interesting story, or you have integrated fast talking into your personality in an interesting way, of course). How many of us have done THAT?
2) Nervous gestures, laughs, ticks, etc. I've heard sourcers who laugh nervously after just about everything they say. This is the DEATH of communication - it instantly communicates insecurity.
3) Breaking eye contact. "What?" you’re thinking. “On the phone?” Yes, imagine yourself looking at her. You need to maintain eye contact until SHE breaks it. This establishes at an unconscious level that you're not afraid and will help you maintain your composure. Someday, it’s going to come into use as we’ll be able to “see” the person we’re talking to!
I also recommend that you study the body language and composure of some of the world's most famous “leading men”. There’s a lot of material to be learned there!
“I speak two languages, Body and English.”
~ Mae West
Like what you just read? MagicMethod
with information like this and will show you the inside tips and techniques of true telephone names sourcers! Subscribe today here
Attend the MagicMethod FREE one hour LIVE phone sourcing classroom chats on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the MagicMethod network here
Attend the MagicMethod Phone Sourcing Seminar in Cincinnati on June 24 sponsored by the Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association. Email email@example.com for registration form or call Suzy Hoffman at 513 554 4747.