Position Title Research and Development Manager #1377
Salary Range $85k to $90k
Fee % 20%
Location Buena Park California
Manages a department of SW/FW/HW Engineers and the Technical Support Team. Coordinates research and development projects and resources that involve product listing and compliance. Manages applications, engineering, and customer service. Endeavors to aid sales and marketing and design products that are best suited to the needs of the market and the customer. Revises existing products to increase reliability and enhance efficiency. Monitors the submission and modifications of UL and listing agency files. Assists Material Control with the transfer of parts from the parent company to local suppliers. Must be a hands-on manager that will assist the team when needed.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISORY ACTIVITIES
• Interprets and enforces company policies, procedures, and safety regulations for the department.
• Provides supervision and training to all staff members. Guides employees and gives feedback to individuals regarding their performance.
• Delegates and schedules work for R&D and Tech-Support employees.
• Motivates employees and directs staff through proactive, participatory leadership in the operations of the department.
• Conducts interviews, makes hiring decisions, gives performance evaluations, and oversees the disciplinary action, including termination.
• Determines salary adjustment for salaried exempt and non-exempt R & D and Tech-Support employees within the mandated budget.
• Ensures company profit and performance objectives are met at the departmental level.
• Develops and monitors the department’s budget. Authorizes expenses in accordance with the budget and approves subordinate expenditures.
• Maintains relationships with the parent company and other overseas locations to discuss inter-company transactions and exchange ideas and information.
• Coordinates with Sales and Marketing team to develop products to meet customer’s needs.
• Evaluates competitor product lines to improve the company’s product offerings and analyze feasibility.
• Coordinates with other departments to alleviate engineering, design, or customer concerns.
• Oversees manufacturing support to resolve assembly and related product problems.
• Coordinates with engineering and keeps informed of pending agency and listing approvals. Works occasionally with listing agencies when problems or questions arise.
• Ensures technical service and support is provided in a timely and helpful manner.
• Oversees design of original artwork for documentation and installation instructions.
• Guide all necessary steps to trouble-shoot equipment and customer repairs as necessary.
• Supports Quality Control to ensure products meet design requirements.
• Interfaces with other departments to resolve technical issues and problems.
Position Description For: MANAGER, R&D
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT AND REPORTING
• Researches, reviews, and prepares reports/evaluations at the request of upper management.
• Reports any and all important business decisions, high-risk issues, and important changes to superior.
• Attends and participates in, Manufacturing/Engineering, Product Planning, and various meetings and committees as necessary.
• Recommends new product offerings to meet customer requirements and needs.
• Develops new processes and methods to improve product efficiency and productivity.
• Recommends methods and targets to lower engineering modification and listing costs and improve the quality of service offered within the department.
• Works with executive management and the parent company to coordinate technical resources for the company.
• Plans strategies to take advantage of unique business opportunities and solve problems in a practical way.
• Ensures ISO 9000 compliance with procedures, work standards and forms.
• Coordinates methods for accomplishing ISO items.
• Participates in trade shows and conducts customer training.
• Keeps apprised of current industry-related information.
• Maintains good communication inside and outside of the Company.
• Seeks to enhance department work processes to increase personnel productivity.
• Performs other duties as required by the immediate supervisor.
• Bachelor of Science Degree or Master of Science Degree, Electrical Engineering (BSEE/MSEE).
EXPERIENCE and ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Ten years of practical engineering experience, preferable design experience with analog and digital systems.
• Seven years of direct management experience with knowledge of Interviewing, Performance Management, Coaching, Performance Evaluations and Terminations.
• Must be able to learn UL and other agency’s requirements.
• Must be organized and able to set priorities and schedules. Project Management skills are preferred.
• Ability to meet project deadlines and work within budgetary constraints.
• Capacity to deal with problems involving multiple variables and pressures.
• Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, sales, suppliers, customers and other company personnel.
• Must exercise sound judgment and execute quick decision-making.
• Ability to clearly and skillfully convey meaning through written work, reports and contracts.
• Must have exceptional interpersonal skills and be able to work with diverse types of personalities.
• Understanding of Lean and Six-Sigma Processes (preferred) and P/L responsibilities to assure profitability for the department and the company.
85-90K RD Manager (Do not want Mechanical Engineer candidates)
1. They DO NOT have to be in the fire industry.
2. Why did candidate leave the last employers?
3. If employed, why is the candidate pursuing another opportunity?
4. Explain any gaps in employment
5. Must have EXCELLENT English speaking/writing skills
3. Johnson Control
6. Harrington Signal
7. Silent Knight
12. Fire Control Instrument (FCI)
13. Simplex Grinnell/Tyco
17. Edwards System Technology
1. Bachelor of Science Degree or Master of Science Degree, Electrical Engineering (BSEE/MSEE).
2. 10 + years of practical engineering design experience with analog and digital systems.
3. 7 + years of direct management experience with knowledge of Interviewing, Performance Management, Coaching, Performance Evaluations and Terminations.
4. Must be able to learn UL and other agency’s requirements.
5. Local or Regional, within an easy drive.
6. Lean and Six-Sigma & P/L responsibilities is a plus.
Company is a medium size company with annual sales of about $50 million. They have a nationwide team of about 400 Associates.
They operate eight manufacturing plants and more than 30 sales engineering offices throughout the United States. The Company has five operating subsidiaries and each has been active for decades.
The Associate will purchase engineered equipment for customer jobs and equipment and materials for the Company’s manufacturing operations. This includes processing requests for quotations; analyzing material needs; negotiating price, delivery & terms; and monitoring quality of vendors.
The job requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering or the like, prior purchasing experience in an engineering or construction company, proficiency at using computers, and excellent communication and negotiation skills.
The Company offers a competitive salary and benefits program including: medical, dental, & vision care, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), paid time off (PTO), and paid Holidays, 401(k) Plan with Company match, paid disability and life insurances, and educational assistance.
"Management was very interested in a candidate with a ME degree, candidate that worked as a sales engineer where part of his job was purchasing components (pumps, valves etc) for industrial process equipment. This process involved designing the system, size the pumps, develop the proposal with detailed drawings, close the deal, then negotiate terms and conditions between the buyer and the manufactures, especially warranty issues. He also had to negotiate terms and conditions of his own firm with buyers and with manufacturers."
1. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
2. Experience purchasing components (ie pumps, valves etc...) for industrial process equipment or very similar.
3. Solid negotiating experience.
4. 1 to 10 years (not more total) work experience.
5. Local, close enough for a short move, or reason for move to the area other than just for the job.