Develop and deploy directional solidification process for the manufacture of solar wafers. Understand the physics of silicon wafer production and how material properties interact with solar cell design. Manufacture silicon solar wafers to tailor a multi-crystal silicon wafer product that has same efficiency as mono-crystal wafer in high volume. The Senior Research Scientist is expected to be an expert in the physics of Directional Solidification (DSS) process, or casting and furnace design and crystal characterization techniques. He will implement and test changes to the DSS process to meet efficiency goals in high-volume manufacturing. The Senior Research Scientist is expected to lead and work with a team of other scientists from different groups within R&D to meet the goals of this position.Job Scope:
· Expert in directional solidification / casting · Strong science based problem solving capability to deliver world-class results · Ability to document and clearly communicate progressJob Related Experience:
· Work together as part of a team
· Flexible and willing to travel for extended periods to other R&D locations
· Cz Crystal/DSS manufacturing or Steel casting experience preferred Any experience with furnace design is a HUGE PLUS!! · Research on Solar Wafers/Solar Cells requiredKnowledge:
· Strong experimental and theoretical knowledge of the physics of silicon wafer properties, production equipment and metrology tools used for solar wafer manufacture. · Casting or directional solidification expertiseEducation/Experience:
· PhD with 0 - 5 years of experience in silicon solar wafers (very strong technical capability - theory & hands-on) in developing and characterizing new products.