Motivation is the key to success! We all know this. A lack of motivation means a lack of results. If you ask an employee what will motivate them, they will usually leap out of their seats with neck stretched, eyes bulged, and teeth wide, and exclaim “MONEY” without even thinking. Sure, you’ll get the select few who can do their job with as little motivation as a Twinkie on a stick, but that is few and far between. We all know the typical ways to motivate employees, but there are also some very unique ones that people often miss out on. Listen up folks, because these little beauties could elevate your company!
1. Exercise Area- Most people hate exercise, but do it anyway. This method provides two forms of motivation. It allows employees to fuel each other’s desire to exercise because working out with a partner is always more motivating than going for it alone. Set up a room in the office with some exercise equipment, such as a treadmill or elliptical. If you have the resources, offer cardio classes such as yoga or kickboxing once a week. Exercise releases endorphins which make people happy! Happy people are likely to be more motivated in the workplace, and looking good from doing it is also a plus! These utilities should only be used on down time though, such as before or after work, or during lunch.
2. Game Room- The future is here! Another good break option for employees would be a small room with anything from board games to video games. The Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Kinect, and Sony Move are all amazing options in this area. They allow for interactive play, especially the Kinect. Anyone could love this. There is no controller, and the games are simple and fun while making your body move as the controller. It’s a great way for employees to socialize with each other and enjoy themselves. If they enjoy themselves at work, they will likely produce much bigger results.
3. Field Trips- Everyone loved field trips as a kid, so why stop now? Put sign up sheets around the office in advance for shows, movies, sports games, weekend picnics, museums, or even something small, such as bungee jumping or sky diving. This gives employees the ability to socialize with each other outside of work. A company that offers ways for employees to communicate outside of the office usually has a more unified team. Unification creates motivation and better progress!
4. Prizes and Awards- Holding contests throughout the year is a great way to keep people motivated, especially if the prize is something good. Please do not hold beauty contests, however, as they are likely to hurt motivation rather than raise it.
5. Food- People might hate exercise, but they love food. Having food around the office is one of the simplest ways to keep people motivated!
Well there you have it. These are just a few of the ways you can motivate employees in a different manner than usual. There are some people who just like to be Debbie downers and are unmotivated by nature. These are likely not good employees, however. For the rest, these tips should increase morale. You can go ahead and remove the Twinkies on sticks from peoples’ cubicles now.
Resource is a team of passionate professionals dedicated to helping individuals and organizations elevate and enhance performance levels in the workplace. For over 35 years we have helped companies of all types and sizes solve their most critical talent challenges through advisory and delivery of smart, integrated and tailored performance based programs and solutions. From staffing and recruiting to training and development, we are all about supporting workplace environments where employees thrive!
Our value proposition is simple: We help our clients increase employee retention and accelerate business performance.