Did you Know?
· Former Texas Rangers Manager and CPA Kevin Kennedy did his players' tax returns to make extra money when he managed in the minor leagues.
· Track sensation Marcus O'Sullivan passed the CPA exam.
· Funny man Bob Newhart started out in accounting.
· After graduating from school, J.P. Morgan got his first Wall Street job as a junior accountant. Five years later he founded his own company.
· Ray Wersching, the ex-San Franscico 49er field goal kicker, was a CPA during the off season.
· Nearly 1,400 of the FBI's special agents are accountants.
· Ohio State University is home to the Accounting Hall of Fame which honors outstanding contributions to the profession.
· The first CPA exam was given in New York in 1896.
· Luca Paciolo wrote the first book on double entry accounting in 1494. He is frequently referred to as the father of accounting.
· John Grisham received his undergraduate degree in accounting from Mississippi State University.
· Walter Diemer was an accountant for the Fleer Corporation in the 1920's. In his spare time, Diemer tinkered with gum recipes and created a chewy, rubbery substance better known as bubble gum.
· Arthur Blank, co-founder of Home Depot and owner of the Altanta Falcons, is a CPA.
** Courtesy of the AICPA **
David Letterman's Top 10 Signs You've Hired a Bad Accountant
(A bit dated, but still enjoyable).
10. You hear him on the phone saying, "Have I ever let you down, Leona?"
9. Instead of IRS, sends your completed tax return to UPS.
8. His "short form" looks suspiciously like a cocktail napkin.
7. He lets you list your imaginary friend as dependent.
6. Lists every time you laughed at Letterman as "charitable donation".
5. Used to be some kind of financial big-shot in Orange County.
4. Announced he donated all your assets to O.J.'s defense fund.
3. On the 1040, he lists your occupation as "sucker".
2. At least five times, he says "here's a little trick I taught Darryl Strawberry."
1. He makes you wear a hospital gown.