I was due for another post anyway and what better subject for that post than ME! I’ve never put a lot of thought into what makes me a smart recruiter, I’m usually much more focused on what will make me a “smarter” recruiter.
1. So I guess that’s the first thing – I am a sponge, always looking to learn new ways to do what I do better.
2. I came to in-house, corporate recruiting from a TPR background. The learning experiences from that part of my career have carried over to my current role providing me with a lot of knowledge about how to understand the needs of my “clients”, my hiring managers as well as a unique approach to communicating with my candidates.
3. I never stop talking (and listening) to people, you just never know where talent is hiding. Being visible and accessible is something I work hard.
4. I use EVERY contact I have with a potential candidate as an opportunity to change mis-conceptions or stereotypes about the recruiting profession.
5. I won’t be original in this response, but of course another thing that makes me a smart recruiter is being a part of communities like this one. RecruitingBlogs.com – both the people and resources here – make me smarter, learning from other professionals on a daily basis!
Thanks JD (and Jerome from SmartRecruiters
) for making us reflect on this one!