So inquiring minds want to know.  Why have you chosen recruiting as a profession?  I would love to see what most say.  Is it one of the following?  Do you have another reason?

1)  Money 

2)  Satisfaction of helping others

3)  It comes naturally

4)  The chase

5)  Teaching and educating managers, clients, and candidates

Thanks for your input.

Will

Views: 711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I mean, what else does one do with a liberal arts degree and an aversion to menial or manual labor?

Good question Will - I think it's all of those things for me, and the order of importance would depend on the day. :) Like most of us I got into recruiting on accident, and it was nice to be so good at something that I actually LIKED.

One other thing is the variety. No two roles are ever the same, even when they're the same - if that makes sense. The process and personalities involved are constantly shifting so it's hard to get bored. I like that.

Good point, Matt.. That is what I said when I got a "Business Management" degree from Ole Miss.  

Matt Charney said:

I mean, what else does one do with a liberal arts degree and an aversion to menial or manual labor?

Completely by accident Amy!  I didn't even know what I was doing when they flew me to Baltimore for Training when I was working for Aerotek.  I just knew I would be working with a bunch of friends.  I am interested to see how many say "1".  

Amy Ala said:

Good question Will - I think it's all of those things for me, and the order of importance would depend on the day. :) Like most of us I got into recruiting on accident, and it was nice to be so good at something that I actually LIKED.

One other thing is the variety. No two roles are ever the same, even when they're the same - if that makes sense. The process and personalities involved are constantly shifting so it's hard to get bored. I like that.

Well for one thing I am addicted to eating. I need to pay for food. I am not impressive enough to go to  hundreds of conferences, get paid to tell people simple things they should already know, and get free food. So, I recruit.

We'll and the relationship between how much of #1 vs how hard I work. ;)

I guess all of the above. And started out by virtue of finding myself adrift after 15+ years, 43 years old, no degree and used to making really good money. My husband had been in recruiting for over 20 years, always wanted me to come work with him but I was too afraid of 1. both of us being self-employed  2. living and working together (and would he be my boss? no way)  3. not being good at it.

Well, there has been such a huge upside to all of it and am so happy that I ended up here!

Well.....I traded a good job as GM of a restaurant group and 90 + hours a week for a "stable" job.  LOL!  Sucker! But what I really liked first was the energy of joining a growing firm and making good money essentially helping people/clients.  

I also believe working hard and smart can directly impact your income whereas other careers can push more and more work at you with no income change.  Entrepreneurial mindset is a key attraction for many (me).  And of course, for me at least, there is a personal reward when I know a hospital finally has the surgeon it needed so badly and was not finding, sometimes for months or years.

I also like the ripple effect - help a guy land his dream job and next thing you know his wife is closer to home, kids are in a better school, there is usually a benefit that extends beyond filling a position or someone getting a job. I love that part.

I have a degree in 'Relationship Counseling', with a business background, so it just sort of made sense.  I actually fell into it (recruited by Aerotek initially) but wanted more out of the whole thing.  More interaction with clients, more ability to help companies grow, more input on their hiring process (even perhaps NOT hiring someone, but realigning responsibilities), more impact on candidates career paths, more money, more control over my future, etc.  You name it, I wanted to be the one in charge of all those things, including my career.

I think my clients appreciate the work we do because they know it's not about the fee, or the bottom line, but it's truly about helping them figure things out from a HR or staffing or employee perspective.  

I think we all started at Aerotek.  :)  Cool.  Here is my story.  I just wrote a blog about it on this site.

http://bit.ly/HhHizd

We probably even know some of the same people. Small world, and it keeps getting smaller....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service