1. Ideas are not opportunities. Ideas are cheap, plentiful, and disposable.
2. Good opportunities are required for good business.
3. People make up the personality of a business.
4. A business is ultimately a persona of the owner in all aspects.
5. The inertia of hard work and perseverance can overcome a bad market/tough competitor.
6. A business is made of metrics. To not know your metrics well means you don't know your business well.
7. Most business "rules" are worthless.
8. It will be harder than you think. See the "Hype Cycle".
9. Transactions are not ultimately profitable. Healthy/cooperative/trustworthy business relationships are ultimately profitable for all.
10. Without alignment of expectations neither customers nor business counterparts will be happy with your product or service.
Feel free to critique.