“It’s ok these things happen, I’ll just continue my job search. You’ve done more for me than any other recruiter and I’m grateful for that” was the reply I got from Paul Smith (name changed due to privacy) when I conveyed the unfortunate news of his rejection by my client More for me than any other recruiter ??
So what did I do that was supposedly different from other recruiters he met? cause realistically I had not yet placed him.
From the initial call, to our meeting and subsequent calls here’s what I offered and did for Paul :
- Made him understand I was a 'bridge' to the client not a 'wall'
- Spent quality time and paid attention to his experience & achievements
- Had a great chat (not one of those formal interviews) with lots of humour and laughter
- Advised how he could spruce up his resume
- Gave him a few tips on dealing with other recruiters so that he gets his call gets through
- Described the client culture and my experience with them over the years
- Provided him valuable interview tips which included the client’s interviewer style
- Shared the job description - obviously!
- Provided advice related to his achievements and responsibilities and how he could maximize it to his benefit at the interview.
- Took his calls
I reverse marketed him and managed to get him 2 interviews, however Paul never did get his job through me. Eventually he found himself employment through a direct application.
However, here’s the thing (a line lifted from the TV program ‘Becker’) he referred 2 other candidates to me, one of whom I placed for a $7,800/- fee. Nice.
Now it’s my turn to say to Paul, “Hey you’ve done more for me …………….”
Most recruiters should have your problems, Alban. ;-)
Good for you to add a little bit of humanity in these elusive job search times.
I think at times we are so caught up with KPI's, filling jobs, marketing, targets etc that we forget this is a people oriented job. My outlook has always been "Today's candidates are tomorrow's clients and vice versa"
@ Gay - ditto and absolutely spot on !
@ Leah - Thank you